Friday, July 4, 2014

True Freedom (Why I'm Not A Patriot)

On July 4, 2001, I was standing in a train station in Amsterdam waiting for a train in about 50 degree weather. It was freezing and hard to believe it was summer, but I was thankful to be in another country. On July 4, 2003 I was in a blazing sun eating at an outdoor restaurant in Oradea, Romania. It felt like it usually did in metro Atlanta that time of year. Again I was thankful to be in another country.

Why was I thankful to be somewhere other than America on our Independence Day? Because I was sharing the love of Christ with those who had yet to hear the Good News of Salvation from our Lord. The day I said "Yes" to Christ my citizenship and loyalty went to God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

Don't get me wrong, I am so blessed and thankful to live in America that still has religious freedom, but that is a gift from God that has been given to me. My true freedom comes from Christ and Christ alone.

"If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth and the truth will make you free." 
~John 8:31b-32

Because I know the truth of Christ and trust in Him alone for my salvation, my life, I am free. Free from sin. Free from death. Free to live as God created me to live. Free to know God and His glory. I am free indeed.

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. ... For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." 
~Galatians 5:1 & 13

This is freedom: to live for God, not ourselves, serving Him and others in love.

Will you seek to live in true freedom today?

No comments:

Post a Comment