Monday, May 18, 2015

Guilt

This past Sunday, we talked about guilt at Sojourn, using Psalm 51. This Psalm was written by King David after committing adultery with Bathsheba, getting her pregnant and killing her husband.

Psalm 51
Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;

According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin.
For [b]know my transgressions,
And my sin is ever before me.
Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in Your sight,
So that You [c]are justified [d]when You speak
And [e]blameless when You judge.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,

And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the [f]innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
[g]Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
[h]Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
[i]Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.
10 
Create [j]in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew [k]steadfast spirit within me.
11 
Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
13 
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will [l]be converted to You.
14 
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;

Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
15 
O Lord, [m]open my lips,
That my mouth may declare Your praise.
16 
For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
You are not pleased with burnt offering.
17 
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
18 
By Your favor do good to Zion;

[n]Build the walls of Jerusalem.
19 
Then You will delight in [o]righteous sacrifices,
In burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then [p]young bulls will be offered on Your altar.

What is Guilt?
Guilt is an objective reality that must be dealt with. If you have ever experienced guilt you know there are different types of guilt. Guilt from sin is from the Holy Spirit convicting us that we must deal with the reality of sin. This causes us to acknowledge there is a problem.

There is false guilt that can come from Satan accusing us of things that are not sin issues as well telling us we have not lived up to some imaginary measure. This guilt also needs to be dealt with but in a different way.

What do we do with Guilt?
We confess our sins. That is the beginning of dealing with guilt. What does it mean to really confess?

True confession relies on mercy and not works
True confession owns our sin- it does not seek to pass the buck or make excuses for what we have done, but says I have sinned against God
True confession is relational- we recognize we have violated a Holy God and because of that our relationship is broken
True confession asks for something- Will you forgive me?
True confession desires renewal- this is repentance, we cannot truly confess without repentance

What does God do with Guilt?
God has provided Jesus as our atonement for those who trust in Him for their salvation. Confession without atonement is meaningless. Jesus, who is the only atoning sacrifice, is the only thing that can cover God's wrath and our sin. God atones our guilt and makes us right again.

No matter what we have done, if God has called us to Himself and we have placed our faith in Jesus alone to save us from the penalty of sin and death, we can be free of guilt. I found it interesting that Pastor Mike said, "The areas that are the darkest can be the most useful in ministry." We are all sinners. We all deal with guilt. God will use it to further His Kingdom.

To hear a great song based on this Psalm, Listen to "Psalm 51" here!

No comments:

Post a Comment