Friday, June 17, 2022

Created to Thrive: An Artist's Guide to Living in Divine Abundance by Matt Tommey

I was introduced to Matt Tommey through my business coach, Katie Hornor, and from the first time I heard him speak I knew God was using him. He has a beautiful way of explaining how art and creativity is a part of God's Kingdom and design that was refreshing and life-giving to an author and content creator.

I definitely grew up in the era of the arts are important, but that's not a career/job/etc, as well as the era of art is not really a part of church. Matt busts these myths wide open in his book, especially in regards to Christians and how they view art and careers as artists. He lays out what it means to be a Christian artist and how to evaluate where you are as an artist. (Yes, he includes writers/authors/content creators as artists!) He uses Scripture throughout, showing us as image bearers of Creator God and how it's not wrong to pursue these things. 

Matt challenges you at every turn, even if it's simply to challenge your thoughts and encouraging you to investigate Scripture on what it says about these things. I greatly appreciate that! He pushes you to take your art forward, if that is what God is calling you to do, but also rejoices in those to whom God has given creative ability that are used to bless without pursuing a career. It is a beautiful combination and exactly the way God intended the church to think about art and encouraging people in the talents that they have. 

I will give this caveat: If you were not raised in church or not from a background where the supernatural is talked about, you may struggle with a lot of what Matt says. He absolutely talks about the Holy Spirit working through us and seeking God in how to pursue our creative endeavors, and even as one who fully agrees with this it challenged me. 

Because of the way he phrases a few things throughout the book I struggled also, but because I've heard him speak and heard his heart, I am fairly confident I understand what he means though I don't agree with the way it's said. It would not keep me from reading it again or recommending it to others, especially Christians who want to pursue business in the creative arts. 

We can thrive as Christian artists if that is where God has led us!

4 Stars for this encouraging and challenging read!

Reading Challenges:

2022 Reading Challenge with Tim Challies: A book by someone you think you could be friends with in Committed Reader section

2022 Intentional by Grace Reading Challenge: About Creativity in Level 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment