Monday, February 17, 2020

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the second book in the Harry Potter series again. I remember I enjoyed these books the first time I read them, but I have enjoyed it even more reading it as an older adult and knowing the full story line. 

As Harry prepares for his second year at Hogwarts, he meets a strange creature warning him not to return. After a bumpy ride getting there, strange things begin happening causing the whole school fear. Harry, Ron and Hermione are on the case, but many in the school fear Harry is behind it all. Will they uncover the truth before a murder takes place?

As with the first book, the story is compelling and extremely interesting. The plot is full of twists and turns and even more than are displayed in the movie. The writing is clear and easy to understand so that you can follow the intricate plot as they search for the truth. The tension of good and evil is clearly present which adds to the enjoyment.

There are great discussion points in here for older kids including bravery and courage, jumping to conclusions, is it ever appropriate to break the rules and thinking before acting. Everyone of these themes is prevalent and I'm sure you can find more if you're wanting to read this with your kids. This is also a great way to discuss that battle of good vs evil as you cannot escape this theme. 

I absolutely recommend this book for adults who enjoy fantasy! I recommend it with caution/parental guidance starting at middle school ages.

5 stars for this fun book that I'm sure will become a classic.

I'm using this book for book two in three books by the same author in the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2020 Reading Challenge.
I'm also using this book as a book of 240 pages or more in Tim Challies 2020 reading challenge found under the committed section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment