Monday, March 22, 2021

Johnny Appleseed The Story of a Legend by Will Moses

This book is part of our Core A curriculum through Sonlight.

I'm really not a huge fan of this book. I read it because the children like hearing about Johnny Appleseed, but personally it's not my favorite. In fact after reading this book, I'd wonder if Johnny Appleseed even existed!

Aside from the clear biographical information at the beginning and the end, the vast majority of the book is pure speculation. "Maybe he thought this." "Perhaps he wanted that." These kinds of statements flood this book with no real knowledge of what he did and why. It's also unnecessarily repetitive. 

It is a picture book and some of the pictures were nice and enjoyable to look at. But there were some that were just odd. There's no other word for it. 

I can't say it's a horrible book and it may be your style of book. As I said my children enjoyed it so I think it has some merit in that respect.

I'd give this book 3 stars.

This book does not fit into any of my reading challenges this year unless I were to use it as a book of my choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment