Monday, March 15, 2021

The Story of Doctor Dolittle

This children's classic is a part of our Sonlight Curriculum in our Core A read alouds. 

I remember reading this with my crew a few years ago and it not being my favorite. While I still would not put it on my "I have to read this again list" I certainly liked it better than the last time I read it. It is definitely an adventure and having a house full of adventurous children it was fun to "go along" with Dr. Dolittle on his adventure to Africa and back to England. 

Dr. Dolittle is an excellent and clever doctor in Puddleby-on-the-Marsh and is well known by all. Not only is he an excellent doctor he is also fond of animals and begins to collect his pets, which greatly annoyed his sister. As he gathers animals in his home, he begins to learn to understand animal speak and can communicate clearly with them so that he can care for them. 

After learning to talk with the animals, Dr. Dolittle becomes the best veterinarian in Puddleby. With his ability to communicate with the animals he also collects more and more pets until no humans will come anymore because they include animals of all kinds, including a crocodile! His sister leaves the home and patients cease to come and money quickly runs out. 

A desperate plea comes from some monkeys in Africa and, after borrowing what he needs for his trip, Dr. Dolittle sets out to help the monkeys in their illness. The adventure is definitely out there, but also possible enough to imagine yourself on the journey. Many roadblocks come, but Dr. Dolittle's animal friends of all kinds come to help him out to get him to Africa and back home.

I appreciate the premise of a man being able to communicate with animals so that he knew exactly what they needed and what the trouble was with them. I also appreciate the element of taking care of living creatures and doing your best for them. Dr. Dolittle also valued human life, though he did seem to put the animals as equals, which is always problematic in my book. If you look at it as a fantasy book based in our world it's a little easier to swallow, but still a struggle. 

It definitely made for interesting discussions about cultivating your home, caring for creation and taking care of your family. My boys loved the adventure and wanted to keep reading until we got to the end. 

It's really hard to rate this one, but for it's story telling and adventure I'd say 3.5 stars, though my children would give it 5.

Reading Challenges:

Back to the Classics 2021 this is my Children's Classic

No comments:

Post a Comment