Monday, December 6, 2021

Eldest

This second book in the "Inheritance" saga was an interesting read. 

We follow Eragon on his journey to becoming a Rider and figuring out how to defeat the King of Alagaesia who is the only other Rider and evil in every way. This is written in a classic fantasy form, which makes it even more enjoyable if you really like fantasy writing. I really liked how we learned even more of the peoples of Alagaesia and the history of this fantasy land as Eragon learns what he needs to know as well as learning things to give him a better understanding of the history of the groups of people he is defending. 

Overall this book is very well written and flows well. There were a couple of spots that, in my opinion, dragged a little and possibly could have been done without. (I'll evaluate this again once I finish the series.) The lessons Eragon learns are extensive and run deep. Even though this is not at all reality, it is still possible to sympathize and empathize with him and feel deeply for all that is going on in him and around him. 

Even with the slower parts, the story is engaging and for the most part I wanted to keep reading and find out what happens. I also had made some suppositions as I read and I wanted to see if I was right! Even with guessing a couple of things, there were definitely surprises along the way ant that made the book even better for me! I like being right, but I also like when I can't figure out everything. That's when you know you've got a good book. 

I give this book 4 stars and definitely recommend it, especially if you love reading about fantasy worlds. 


Reading Challenges: 

This book is A Book With Magic in the Obsessed section of the 2021 Reading Challenge with Tim Challies.

I'm using this one as my fantasy book in Modern Mrs. Darcy My Reading Life Challenge.

In the 2021 Intentional By Grace Reading Challenge this book is for the category of Longer than 400 pages on level 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment