Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Getting Back to Reading

I never realize how much I miss books until I get out of the reading habit. Being in a state of transition for two years as a family meant time was filed with paperwork, childrearing, job finding, house hunting, packing and unpacking, schooling, nursing, and wondering what the next step was. There were a lot of ups and downs. I read my Bible, because I needed that. I read to my kids, but usually simple children's books. I would try to read, but the overload often sent me to the TV because, let's face it, it's easier to watch a screen to than to read a book and take it in.

As we are now getting settled and getting into a more normal routine, I have begun reading multiple books for myself and also reading much more to the kids. Between my books and books of length we're reading with the kids I have ten books going.

And I love it!!!

I recently saw a statement that said that reading for 6 minutes can reduce stress by 60%. Right now I believe it. Since greatly reducing the amount of screen time and increasing both reading and outside time I have noticed a significant change in the house.

Why?

I'm not really sure. Maybe because we're really spending time together. Maybe because we're talking more. Maybe because we're reducing the amount of blue light we're exposed to everyday. Maybe all of this and more.

It doesn't really matter why, though my inquisitive mind would like to know and understand. All I know is it is making a difference.

I'm thankful that God has given us the gift of reading. I'm thankful to have access to books and a vast variety at that. And I'm thankful that God has brought me back to this lost love yet again to remind me of the blessing it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment