Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Mary on Horseback

This was my second time reading "Mary on Horseback" with our Core A reading from Sonlight. From what I remember, I like it as well as I did the first time.

This book tells a few stories about Mary Breckinridge who was a frontier nurse in the Appalachian Mountains. As a nurse who is married to a nurse and lives in Kentucky, I really enjoyed hearing these stories of how nursing came into this region. They are hard stories to read but are good for giving kids a basic understanding of how differently some people live and the hardships they face. It is well written and easy to understand and easy to talk through with kids as long as they are not squeamish and you're not squeamish.

It is also interesting to see a tiny bit of the history of nursing. I also appreciated learning a little bit of Mary's background as she is from a prominent family in Kentucky.it holds great lessons on what it means to look out for other people and to fight for what you believe.

I would give us book four stars.

I am using this book in the Tim Challies 2019 reading challenge for a book of a hundred pages or less in the avid section of the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment