Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The House at Pooh Corner

This classic book is part of our Core A curriculum with Sonlight, and our second time reading it as a family.

Is you're familiar with Winnie the Pooh as most are, this book was one of the inspirations for the cartoon that many know and love. This book contains ten of those stories and are written exactly the way the characters speak. This makes reading this book out loud a bit of a challenge and personally I don't care for it. The stories are cute with good teaching points but it gets lost in all of the confusion of the writing. By the time I finish reading a section my brain has lost the point of what I'm reading.

As I already said the stories are cute and have good teaching points if you don't get lost in the wording like I do. Being able to see these a little better this time helped me to enjoy the book better than last time, but I still dislike reading this book.

My kids in the other hand enjoyed this book and found it funny. They were able to catch some of the points in the midst of the garbled English and thought the garbled language was part of the fun. They liked the poems that Pooh and the others came up with especially. This does allow for teaching poetry skills and how to evaluate poetry.

I will say it is clean and has lessons in it making it a great family read for those who like the type of nonsense that they speak. For me it's simply a matter of preference.

I would give this book 2 Stars for personal reading enjoyment. My kids give it 4 stars so I will split the difference and give it 3 on the whole.

This book is part of the Tim Challies reading challenge and is a book about friendship since that is the overarching theme of the book. This category is located in the committed section of the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment