Monday, June 10, 2019

The Excellent Wife

What's an appropriate book for me to share and review the week of our 15th wedding anniversary!

This book by Martha Peace is a convicting and poignant read. She does not mince words and gets right to the point on what it means Biblically to be an excellent wife. Scripture is at the center of everything that she writes and she is always ready with practical examples alongside Scripture. I really appreciate the directness as it is always frustrating when people dance around a subject instead of saying exactly what they mean.

For me this was a great review of much I had learned at seminary wives and other marriage conferences while in Louisville. It also showed me some areas where I am still struggling or failing miserably! I really appreciated the end chapters that speak to wives own sin issues that needs to be dealt with. I also appreciate that she acknowledges there are difficult situations out there yet we are still to handle them in a Scriptural way with specific examples to encourage women in these situations.

There were a few things that frustrated me like several instances of proof texting. There were some conclusions in a few chapters that I also did not completely agree with but that is more on a personal opinion and not necessarily her being wrong.

On the whole I would recommend this book and give it 4 maybe 4 and 1/2 Stars.

For my reading challenges this will be under a book on marriage from Tim Challies's 2019 challenge and one of the Biblical Womanhood/Marriage category from the 2019 Christian challenge for women with Jami Balmet


No comments:

Post a Comment