Friday, June 14, 2019

Wife No. 19

I have finally finished my first classic for the year!!! I am using this one for a Very Long Classic.

This book was an incredible eye-opener to the beginning of Mormonism and the wretched lies that kept thousands of people in bondage to the whims of their prophet, Brigham Young.

Ann Eliza wast 19th wife of the prophet and was raised completely in the bonds of Mormonism. The book begins with a little history of her family and how they came to become Mormon and then follows the history of this people and her family until she becomes free from the system.

This book is full of intrigue, horror and great sadness. You learn how Joseph Smith began to collect followers and established the system. You will learn of his death and the rise of Brigham Young. You will learn how polygamy came to be a part of this religion and the incredible detriment it had in everyone. You will learn of the cruelty of many of the men in power. You will learn of the courage of the women who were subjected to this system and crumbled under the weight. You will learn what the religion if Mormonism is at the very core and likely wonder at how it ever came to be.

As I read I consistently had to remind myself I'm reading a true story, not a bad soap opera. Truth being stranger than fiction most certainly applies here. You will feel for these people pulled around at the whims of an egotistical mad man, for I have no better description of him, and cry with them as they tried to live under an extremely oppressive religion that was their life.

Being written in the 1800s it can be a bit difficult to read, but it is still a good read.

I highly recommend this book if you want a true inside look to the world of Mormonism.

5 stars for this important historical work.

I am also using this in my other challenges:
A book with 400 pages in the Light section of Tim Challies's challenge
A Book Published Befoer You Were Born on Modern Mrs. Darcy's Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment