Thursday, June 25, 2020

Philomena

This short children's book is a book in our Core C program from Sonlight.

Philomena is a little orphan girl who grew up in a village just outside of Prague with Babushka. When she turns twelve, Philomena, like all girls in her village, go to Prague to hire themselves out until sixteen to grow in their domestic skills and earn a dowry.

This story follows Philomena after Babushka dies and Philomena goes to Prague to find her only family, Aunt Liska whom they have not heard from in years. Philomena gets into some interesting situations as she learns and looks for her aunt before returning to her village.

This is a charming and interesting book. It gives you a peek into the older culture of Prague and how the people of this village think. It brought up lots of interesting conversations as Philomena "talks" to Babushka in Heaven to seek advice as well as comparing the differences in culture and belief.

I think it is a good book for discussion, though I can't say I loved the book. I do appreciate the ending that is left in a neutral tone, making it different from your happily ever after endings.

For me I'd give the book 3 stars.

Reading Challenges:

I'm counting this book as A Book that Looks Easy to Read in the Avid section of the 2020 Reading Challenge with Tim Challies.

No comments:

Post a Comment