Monday, June 1, 2020

White Stallion of Lipizza

This book was a part of our Sonlight Core C curriculum and was such a fun and inspiring story.

Hans is the son of a baker who loves horses and wants to be a rider for the Ballet of Lipizzaners. Being the son of a baker, his dream seems far out and unreachable. Every Sunday Hans hitches his own horse to the bakery wagon for deliveries and makes sure he is early to see the horses cross the road from their stables to the arena for their show. There is one who his horse seems to notice and Hans grows an affection for.

Since Hans is still in school he must wait until he finishes to attempt going after a spot in the riding school, but he spends his evening time after studies learning all he can about the Lipizzaners and their tricks. He is given the opportunity to go see a performance and his love for the art grows even more. While his parents do not discourage his dream completely, they are very realistic with Hans and what will likely be.

Follow Hans as he follows his dream and watch the growth of an ambitious young boy as he deals with life, loss and searching for his heart desire.

The children and I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was completely surprised that I loved it as much as I did and even found myself tearing up as I read the end. There are so many points for discussion: doing what is right and necessary over what you want, dealing with loss and heartbreak, learning how to overcome disappointment, patience and maturity.

I absolutely recommend this book. I give it 5 stars as it is well written, very realistic and engaging. This is an excellent family read.

Reading Challenges:
I'm using this book as a book by an author I've never heard of under the obsessed section in Tim Challies 2020 Reading Challenge.

I wish this was NOT a picture book so I could use it for my classics challenge, but alas it is full of pictures and does not count.

No comments:

Post a Comment