Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Our Thoughts Matter

When doing training for Good News Clubs we were taught this definition of sin:

Anything you think, say, or do that is against God.

I'm not sure why, but it has taken me 5 years since learning that definition to realize that the first thing in that definition is anything we think

Our thoughts matter!

During lent I spent a lot of time reflecting on sin and asking God to rid me of it. He is continuing to do that and teach me more and more about sin and how deep it goes. I'm learning to echo with Paul, "I am the chief of sinners." But in the last couple of month God has really been showing me that our sin begins with our thoughts and our thoughts can be sinful. 

In the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5 we see that even our thoughts are sinful.

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court." (v.22a)

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (v.28)

In 1 John 3:15 it says "Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer."

Our thoughts matter!

We are sinful human beings who sin on a daily basis, and much of that sin is in our minds. Have you checked your thoughts today? Are you taking every thought captive to obey Christ? (2 Corinthians 10:5) 

No comments:

Post a Comment