Monday, June 6, 2011

All Grown Up Part 2

Walking up and down stairs. Choosing clothes and getting dressed. Using the bathroom alone. Riding in the front seat of a car. Eating what I like and knowing how to chose things that are good. Getting food or drink. Carrying bags. Doing laundry. Cleaning. Being able to reach most things.
All of these things and many more I know I take for granted on a regular basis. I see Jamey struggling these things consistently. There are days he wants to do these things and is confident in being a big boy. Other times he wants to be a baby and just wants to be carried or play. I see this battle and I think of myself. Do I play on the computer or do the laundry? Do I read my Bible or watch TV? Do I plan a meal or just eat something from the freezer or fast food? I could continue on, but I believe you get the idea. Knowing what takes priority and learning balance seems to be the biggest keys in "growing up". Or maybe it just seems that way to me at the moment. I keep realizing that there are so many good things to do and things we can do, but we must realize that there are things that must be a priority and things we must do as a part of living for God and there are things we should do to be a Christ-like witness or be healthy.
How do we make these decisions? Pray! Read the Bible! Seek advice from Christian friends and elders. It's not easy, but it is all necessary. I seem to be asking myself these questions all the time and seem to be floundering in them. I am grateful that God is patient with us and helps us as we muddle through these questions to figure out the right answers. I think the hardest part is that these change on a regular basis. But we must press on, ask the questions and rely on God to get us through each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment