Sunday, June 12, 2011

Great Reminder

Yesterday afternoon I attended a songwriting workshop at Sojourn with Bob Kauflin. It was a great time of learning as I love to write songs but have never given much thought to the process as I simply write what comes to me when I feel inspired.
The most profound thing that was said, in my opinion, is Bob saying he is thankful he has an average voice because that is how most of the people in your congregation sing. I have never really thought about this and, in fact, lamented the fact that I had not spent more time developing my voice (or other musical instrument) so that I could have other opportunities that seemed to be given only to those who are "professional" or "classically trained". But to hear someone who has worked in leading worship say this reminded me that I don't have to be professional or classically trained to sing, praise or even lead worship. I am to use what God has given me and use it how He sees fit, even if all I do is sing praise songs to my children and teach them how to sing praises to our Lord.
So how about you? Are you using your gifts and talents to further God's kingdom, even in little ways or are you waiting for your "big break"? God has something for all of us to do, and whatever He has for you is important in His kingdom even if it does not seem important to anyone else. Do not take any opportunity for granted. God is at work, so let Him work in and through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment