Wednesday, June 1, 2011

All Grown Up

This past weekend my baby sisters (yes, they are twins) graduated from high school. I may sound like an older person for a moment, but being nine years their senior I remember their lives. I remember the day they were born, when they finally came home from the hospital 2 weeks later, when they began kindergarten, middle school and high school. I remember the little girls who were my bridesmaids almost 7 years ago, then turning around and realizing they are no longer little girls. They are now 18, preparing to go to college and become part of the "real world". They are all grown up!
Or are they really. Reflecting on this has caused me to reflect on this ideology of being grown up, but what does it really mean. Once we are 18, 21, 30 we are all grown up? Or because we have a job, a mortgage and two cars? Because we are married? Because we have kids? When are we really grown up?
I have come to the conclusion that though we may enter the adult world, we are never fully "all grown up". There is always something new to learn, something different to do. We look at adults all of the time and wonder if they are ever going to grow up. Sometimes I look at myself and wonder if I will ever be grown up. And then it hits me, only in Christ can I be grown up. He gives me the ability to make "grown up" decisions, to be wise in uncertain circumstances and to know how to handle every day life. Do I do this perfectly? By no means! I wish I did. But everyday I'm crying out to God, "make me grown up! Make me perfect so that I will no longer hurt your heart or those around me!" Only God is really grown up. I hate it when I make childish decisions, or mistakes from just not paying attention to what is going on around me. But praise the Lord, the blood of Jesus covers me and now I can ask Him every day to help me be truly grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment