Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homeschooling

I have always wanted to be married and to have kids. I have also never thought of myself as a teacher, not naturally anyway. So, when I was dreaming as a child about my family and the future, homeschooling was never on my radar. It is interesting and amazing how God shows you things and begins to change your heart and mind, especially in the plan He has for you, of which you were previously unaware. As I watch my kids grow and learn I am amazed at how much and what they are learning by me taking advantage of teachable moments and playing with them. I get so excited when they learn a new word or sign or start putting concepts together. It warms my heart and soul and I do not want to miss any of it.
As this is becoming my heart, I have begun the quest for materials and ideas as well as learning what my kids should know at their age and stage. Obviously we teach whenever we can no matter if it is "over their heads" or not, but what should I be intentionally teaching and working on with them on a regular basis. Might I say there is a LOT of information out there. Thankfully I have only found 2 programs geared toward my age children and one has free material online, that makes that easy! :) But I am looking at long term curriculum as well as I stumble across things and people make suggestions and it is very exciting to see the material out there. I do not know exactly how I want to approach everything, so learning about different curriculum and what they have to offer is great!
And with number 3 on the way I'm hoping to start doing a more "formal" setting for Jamey starting in August to get an idea before the baby comes of how I want to start and where I need to go from here. I obviously have a lot to learn and would value any input on the subject as well as curriculum people have used and liked/disliked and why. There is so much that I am praying against feeling overwhelmed as I know this is where God is leading me right now. Currently I am very excited about the prospect and what will come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment