Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hospitality

This morning at church we talked about hospitality and what that looks like for Christians. It was so encouraging to me! I want to be hospitable, I really do. But I had such a mixed up idea of what hospitality looked like. I had this idea of grand dinners with dessert and coffee, perfectly neat house with lots of space and everything going "just right". But as I was reminded today, this is "entertaining" not practicing hospitality. Hospitality is creating a safe place where others are welcomed or making room. The literal translation from Greek means "welcoming strangers". This means that ANYONE can do it. Whether a poor college student or a billionaire, a Christian can show hospitality.
The other aspect that hit me today is that hospitality is about pursuing people not just waiting for people to come to you. I would tell people come by anytime. I meant it and still mean it, but that's not usually what gets people into your home. As a Christian God has lovingly pursued me and called me into relationship with Him. I then am to lovingly pursue others and draw them into relationship. I am still learning how to do this, but by the grace of God I will learn how to have a revolving door home.

Today's Blessings
42. God has pursued me and called me to Himself
43. Realizing that I don't have to be a perfect homemaker to be hospitable
44. Spending the evening with family and friends
45. Watching Jim let go and have fun with the kids
46. Seeing Asmaa and Sarah
47. Meeting a woman from Russia
48. Getting a decent amount of the kitchen packed

No comments:

Post a Comment