Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper

I cannot speak highly enough of this book and the way it spoke to my heart. The stories of these women greatly touched me and were timely for things that have been going on in my life. I learned so much from the women who lived faithfully where they were doing what God had called them to do, even in the midst of pain, suffering and everyday life. God spoke directly to my heart about His character and His ways.

Three of the women in this book were missionaries in other countries, which encouraged me greatly as one day our family hopes to work in an international context. What I really appreciated was that two of them were rejected by mission boards and still managed to get where God had called them by His grace and provision. It reminds me God is bigger than a mission board and if He wants you overseas, He will get you there.

All of them suffered greatly, but two in particular stood out to me as I think of the things God has lead me through in various ways and how He has and is using the hard things to help me know Him better and grow in Christ-likeness. It also has helped me to evaluate, what am I really willing to suffer for the sake of the Kingdom?

I was sadly disappointed by the section on Sarah Edwards. I felt like it really focused on Jonathan Edwards and did not really show what Mrs. Piper was attempting to show (being faithful in the mundane), but you might disagree. Because of this I would give it 4 1/2 stars.

I need to read this book again and again. It's a relatively quick read, and I would recommend it to anyone, even men. There is so much to learn from these pages about God and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment