Monday, March 30, 2015

My Palm Sunday

Yesterday was Palm Sunday, when we celebrate the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. It was a great celebration as the Jews believed Jesus was coming to be their King on their terms, taking over the Roman government and returning Israel to their control.

In the afternoon I went to see my favorite musical/play, Fiddler On The Roof at the Jewish community center here. At the end, the Jews are told that they were to leave their homes and evict the city. One character says, "Rabbi, we have waited all our lives for the Messiah. Wouldn't now be a good time for Him to come."

I thought, how ironic that I am hearing this today of all days. The Messiah that you have been waiting for did come. In fact, you laid out palm branches and cloaks so that His donkey could walk on them and shouted Hosanna as He entered Jerusalem. But you did not receive Him or His way of salvation. You wanted it your own way.

And then I think to myself, how often is that me? I shout praises to my God, but so quickly turn to my own way when God doesn't do what I want? All humanity is the same, desiring their own way, their own kingdom. I have always had a soft spot for the Jews, and this year more than ever, because they are God's chosen people and yet have rejected His way of salvation. I feel this same pity for all the lost as well. It does us no good to seek our own kingdom because it will never stand.

Father, help us look to the true Messiah, Your Son, Jesus Christ. He is all we need. He is the only King and His Kingdom will never end. Right now we are just waiting for it to come to fruition. Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment