Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Date Your Wife

For the Tim Challies 2019 reading challenge in the light section he has a category for a book targeted at the opposite gender, thus I chose a short book that had been sitting on our shelf that I could read quickly. I thought it would be an easy read, but this book is deep for it's short length.

This book is greatly needed today as marriage is frequently being attacked and we're told what we do and have possession wise is far more important than our relationships. This book cuts to the heart be telling men your marriage is your most important earthly relationship and only through a relationship with Christ can you even hope to do it well. Reading it as a female I do appreciate how direct Justin is. He does not mince words and tells it like it is. There is no guessing. Love that!

I absolutely believe every man should read this book. It's so life giving for a marriage in it's principles. Now ladies, I do not recommend you give this book to your husband. Instead find a way for a guy friend to recommend it or pray for God to put it in his hands some way. You giving it to him would likely undo the good to come from it.

Ladies if you want to read it used it for prayer, not telling your husband everything he's doing wrong. At times it was hard for me to read because of hurts, but it helped me pray in a new way. It also showed me things I can teach my boys. My biggest take away was that I need to teach my boys to pray for their future wife starting now! My older boys all talk about getting married and they need to learn these basic concepts now. It will definitely give them a head start on dating their wives.

There is a note from Justin's wife, Taylor, at the end that reminds us to be datable. Remember a marriage is two people and if we're holding our husbands to unrealistic expectations we're doing them a disservice. We're all sinners that need to improve and grow in Christ-likeness.

I love the style. I love the practical suggestions. I love the call to examine yourself. This was a great book all around.

5 stars with all the recommendation I can give it!

No comments:

Post a Comment