Thursday, July 4, 2019

Sojourning Expat Ambassador

Sojourn: a temorary stay

Expat: a person living outside their native country

Ambassador: an accredited diplomat sent by its country as its official representative to a foreign country

Independence day is always a time of reflection for me. I've shared my struggles with this time of year before, but this year it has been taken a whole nother level for me.

See, about three years ago we were living in Louisville and spent a week in Georgia with my family and a week in Florida with Jim's mom. While in this trip I found myself at peace in all of these places. I looked at Jim and said, "I could live in any of these places." He was having the exact same thought. It was the catalyst for moving us forward in leaving Louisville and coming back to Georgia. It was a strange time for me because I didn't want to come back nor had I ever given the time of day to a beach in Florida.

But God was doing something in me at that time that has continued on even to now. He continues to teach and remind me, it doesn't matter where I live here on Earth because Earth is not my home. No country, state, county, city or house here is my home. My home, my country, my kingdom is in Heaven with Jesus!

I'm a sojourner in a foreign land living in a temporary dwelling waiting for my future home who's designer and builder is God (Hebrews 11:8-10). I'm an expat living outside of my native country until my King calls me home. And I'm also an Ambassador for my King to proclaim His ultimate rule over all countries and peoples and call people to repentance and faith (2 Corinthians 5:20). All of which remind me, I am not yet home.

I'm thankful to be living in an earthly country that allows me to live the way my King has called me to live. I'm thankful I can openly tell others about this amazing country where the glory of God is light and life. I'm thankful that God is good and they no matter what happens in my temporary home, my home in heaven is secure and nothing there will ever change. I'm thankful I can be an ambassador for the one true King.

So this year as I remember the Independence of the United States as a country, I celebrate the true freedom that I have in Christ to live the life God has called me to live in this temporary home while I wait for my eternal one. I celebrate the dependence I have on the eternal God of the universe, without whom, no earthly independence or freedom would exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment