Wednesday, July 24, 2019

It's What You're Used To

As I write my three older boys are away for the night with grandparents, which means I only have six kids at home. I'm excited they are out having a fun experience, my house is turned upside down.

I hear people in my head who ask how I do it with so many, and wouldn't it be easier if you sent them to school. And tonight I'm reminded that I love having them around and that they're all a vital part of the whole.

It's always easy to judge what you don't know. When you have two, nine seems like a lot! And while nine is a LOT, because we have nine, many hands make light work. Every child has their job. The younger ones are still learning chores, but they can get dressed and help pick up. Older kids help change diapers when I need to feed the baby and everyone pitches in to clean up after each meal. They are still kids and some nights they have to be reminded often that they have a job to do before they can have free play and reading, but it makes life so much richer when there are so many of us to do this life together.

Thankfully tonight my 5-year-old stepped up like I have never seen and took care of most of the big boys chores plus his own with the 4-year-old in toe who is learning the chores from the older ones. My 9-year-old did her jobs and a couple of the oldest to help get everything done. And it all got done without too much fighting.

But I still miss the three. Six is still a lot, but I feel it when any of them are gone.

Even when just one is away it feels off and incomplete. Our girl was able to spend a week with her cousins and grandparents and the constant question was "When is she coming home?"

How do I do it with so many? We all work together to get the jobs done.

Would it be easier if I sent them to school? Not on your life!!! We all work together and the family functions best when we're all here.

This may seem crazy to many, but it's really what your used to. I'm used to nine. I've been used to lots of littles for years now and I'm teaching my olders responsibility. With six, it's just too quiet. It's too quiet with only eight! And everything feels off and out of balance.

I know one day it will be like this frequently as they grow up and move out into the next adventure God has for them, but for now it's a blessing to have the fold at home. I'm glad my boys will be home in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment