Monday, July 1, 2019

The Stranger

Wow! I don't even know where to begin with this classic! I know I've read it before but I did not remember it at all.

This book is an excellent fictional memoir of a man who shows me truly the depths of humanity apart from God. It's sad but really how people are wired because of the fall. Self absorbed and thinking about how life is for them, not caring at all that there is a God and denying His very existence. In essence doing what we want to do no matter what because we believe we know best or we just want what we want.

I love how simply this is written in first person perspective. This is probably my favorite writing style and Camus did it very well. We don't have all the details but it doesn't leave you wanting for more. The story is clear, concise and leaves no guessing.

There are some details that could be disturbing to some, but he did a good job of being realistic without being vulgar.

It's hard to do a review of this book without telling the whole story. So I'll say this: the conclusion is breathtaking and brilliant and hits way too close to home in how many feel in everyday life I think. I know I often feel the way he describes even knowing Jesus and His forgiveness. It's part of the plight of humanity and being slaves to ourselves and our sin.

How to rate this book? I don't know. I think 4.5 stars. Can't quite give it 5 though I can't quite place why.

Reading challenges:
This is my second classic for Back to the Classics challenge for a book in translation.

I'm also including this in the Tim Challies 2019 Reading Challenge as a sad boo in the committed section
And the 2019 Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge for a book in translation

No comments:

Post a Comment