Saturday, September 15, 2012

God Given Talents

"And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts." Exodus 31:4-6

I realize that this passage is given in a specific context and do not want to miss quote the Word of God, but as I read this I was reminded that God is the giver of talents as well. I have only recently realized that my love and ability to write has come from God. He is the one who made me and my brain to function the way it does. He has given me creativity and an outlet to use it. Though I struggle, He is the one who has given me the ability to put words together in a specific way to send a message. I pray that it is His message and that it will bring Him honor and glory. I am still growing in this but God is faithful and continuously works on my heart showing me how to do everything for His glory. 

I was also reminded by this passage that God is the creator of the arts. I know that this can be an area of controversy in the church, but art that is to honor God is an act of worship. This particular passage is for those God set apart for the craftsmanship needed to make and design the temple with all of the things in it that God had specified. Today we are not required to follow all of this ornateness as believers are the holy temple of God, but we can still beautify our churches and homes with art that honors our Lord. Being artistic is God given. Have you looked at His creation? He is the greatest artist of all! We must not worship art as that is clearly idolatry, but let's give God honoring art it's due and appreciate the talent that God has given to some of his people.

What talents do you have? Are you using them for God's glory or your own? Are you using them at all? Seek out how God desires for you to use your talents today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment