Saturday, September 29, 2012

Reflections on a Week of Writing

At the writing retreat last weekend we were challenged to write 20 minutes a day. I was also given the personal challenge of writing a page a day on a book that has been in the works for over 10 years (I honestly do not remember when I started it). So Monday I started with this challenge and it has been refreshing. During the kids rest time I sit in their room to help them actually rest (this is another story) and I take my journal and book with me. I began by writing in my journal about the events of the day or since the last time I wrote in it and anything that God is teaching me or feelings that I need to write out to work through. When I finish journaling, which usually takes more than 20 minutes, I pull out my story and write. Everyday I have written at least a page and most days I have written more than that! As I was typing up what I have added since the last time I typed I realized I have written 10 pages (handwritten) and most of which was done this week. That is more than a page a day with only five days of writing. God has really blessed my faithfulness to sit and write as I believe this is something he wants me to do. Just getting in the habit is refreshing. I decided to take the weekend off of this, like you would with a 9 to 5 job, and will begin again on Monday. Though writing is wonderful and therapeutic for me, the break, especially from story writing, is good. I do plan to journal during the weekends as it is great for life in general. And life is what leads to creative writing of all kinds.
To punctuate this productive week, the writing group I am a part of met this morning. This group is always encouraging and uplifting, and today was no exception. I love having a safe environment to share and receive feedback. God gives such good gifts.
_________________________________________________________________________
Blessings Today
296. Writing Group
297. Claire DeBakey
298. Shannon Skelton
299. Marie Peterson
300. Amanda Noonan
301. Paper and Pencil
302. Computers
303. Jamey acting out his favorite movies
304. Reuben laughing when Jamey holds his hand to pray
305. Reuben reaching for Jamey and Lillian to give them hugs and kisses before bed

No comments:

Post a Comment