Monday, May 20, 2019

Abandoned Prayers

Where to begin with this book, I am unsure. I got this book from a friend from book club when she was getting rid of some of her books. Since I enjoy a good mystery I thought I'd give it a go.

The difference: this story actually happened.

Criminal Minds and CSI are some of my favorite shows, so I suppose I expected it to be similar to one of those. Because it's a true story it was far from being like a show. Instead it was a very long newspaper article, like an episode of Dateline in written form.

It was will written and interesting because of the complexity of the story. Many people are also intrigued by the Amish, and this gives a little insight into their world. The downside of this book is unnecessary and overly graphic details into the life of the man this book was written about. There is some harsh language, but given the lifestyle and nature of the crimes I'm surprised there was not more.

Unlike my favorite criminal shows, there was not a satisfactory ending. This gives a much more realistic view of how the legal system works and getting evidence for conviction. While in some respects there is no guessing in others it leaves you wondering what really happened.

I can't say if I recommend this book or not. It depends on you really. If you enjoy criminal non-fiction you'd probably enjoy it. But if not, leave it be.

On the whole I'd give it 3 stars for being written in a compelling manner and thorough clear writing.

For my Reading Challenges I'm using this book for:
A Biography in Challies Challenge in the Light section
A Book You've Been Meaning to Read in Modern Mrs. Darcy's

No comments:

Post a Comment