Friday, May 31, 2019

Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson

This book of poems I've had for years and glanced at occasionally. I decided to pull it out for the Tim Challies reading challenge this year.

While there is some poetry I really like, I struggle with poetry on the whole. Emily Dickinson's poetry is just the same. Some of the poems I really liked and even identified with. But on the whole I found most confusing and glossed over them. I did enjoy getting insights to what this woman believed and how she felt.

If you are a poetry lover and enjoy figuring out the depths of a person's poetry then you will really enjoy this collection! If poetry is not your thing then I would steer clear. if you want the challenge of learning poetry, I do think it is a good book for that. It would also be beneficial for studying poetry for learning to write in a particular style.

Because of my personal enjoyment or lack thereof I would give this book about three stars. For its learning potential I could give it five stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment