Saturday, February 7, 2015

Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

I loved this book! It was part of Jamey's curriculum this year and I wanted to read it for my Back to the Classics Challenge for my children's classic and I am so thankful we had this book available. It follows Elizabeth Ann (Betsy), a 9-year-old orphan as she moves from one family member's house to another and how she adjusts. I laughed out loud so many times and even learned a few things. It is a fun glimpse into mountain life in the early 1900s as well as a good reminder of how much we take for granted in the 21st century. I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading it again with Lillian in a couple of years.

4.5 stars for this book.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read this but Fisher also wrote The Homemaker, which is a wonderful book for adults published by Persephone. I'll have to try out Understood Betsy sometime soon, it sounds like just the sort of thing I would like. Thanks for linking your review to the Back to the Classics Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVED Understood Betsy!! I read it aloud to my daughter a few years back in 1st or 2nd grade. It's a Sonlight title. Understood Betsy is a beautiful story that I think every young girl should read :)

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete