Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Passover

"Passover, Passover, You must passover me, for see the stain that's overhead, the crimson stain. Passover, Passover, You must passover me, for see the Lamb has died instead."

I remember this song from Hans Bronson, a musical I did in Children's choir when I was in 5th or 6th grade. Passover at that time was a concept, a story. It was from the Old Testament and had nothing to do with me.

Years ago I became interested in Jewish cultures, but did not know what to do with it. I learned a little here and there. Last year our family celebrated Passover and it started becoming real. In the fall I began working through the Law and learning more of what the Old Testament says. We celebrated Passover again this year. Preparing for it along with reading the story of Passover in Exodus a couple of times, this song came back to me and reminded me that though Passover is considered a Jewish tradition, what Passover symbolizes is The Lamb, Jesus Christ, dying instead of me. His blood stains have covered my sin. Jesus is the ultimate Passover Lamb. Passover is a holiday that can help to complete the picture of what Jesus did for us during Holy Week.

It was such a pleasure to be able to celebrate with our community group this year. It was fun to teach others about this holiday and the deep meaning in it.

Maybe you can celebrate next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment