Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Oliver Twist

I finally finished my 4th classic for the Back to the Classics Challenge I am participating in. I have been wanting to read this book for quite some time and finally got around to reading it. I remember seeing the musical when I was in high school and so I thought I knew the story line, but clearly I forgot a lot.

I liked this book OK. I think I might have had a hard time with it since I'm pregnant and highly emotional. Oliver went through way too much for my emotions at this time and I found myself often getting angry at the book. The story line is very interesting, but at times was a bit confusing. I appreciated the mystery of Oliver's parentage in it as well as the mystery of Monks, though when we find out who he is, it is of really little significance in some respects. I was a little dumbfounded by it. I appreciate the elements of the sovereignty of God, though it is not addressed as such in this book, as Oliver finds his way to people of great significance to him. I also appreciate the justice in the end.

Stylistically I also struggled with this book. This is the first book I have read by Charles Dickens so I did not know what to expect. I hope I enjoy his other book I have scheduled better as I hear there are differences in his books.

Overall I would give this book 3 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment