Thursday, October 10, 2013

What Is Our Response?

"Ezra opened the book [of the law] in the sight of all the peoples for he was standing above all the people; and when he opened it, all the people stood up. Then Ezra blessed the Lord the great God. And all the people answered, "Amen, Amen!" while lifting up their hands; then they bowed low and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground." Nehemiah 8:5-6

This was in my reading today and really caught my attention. The depth of response the Israelites showed when hearing the Law of the Lord is amazing. It is challenging. How do we respond when we hear the Word of the Lord? How do we respond when we hear someone bless the Lord? Do we bless the Lord?

I am thankful that Sojourn has us stand for the reading of Scripture, but I wonder would I stand if they did not request us to? Sometimes yes, but sometimes no. Sometimes I feel too tired or I am just not enamored enough with Jesus to honor Him. I want my desire to be to stand to honor God's Word, to love Him more than myself or my comfort; To respond in awe and wonder at what God has done for me and for the world.

What is your response to hearing the Word of God? Most Americans would not hesitate to stand when they hear the national anthem or for saying the pledge to the flag, but it does not cross their minds to honor God by standing for the reading of His Word. I would challenge you to seek your heart and ask God how to teach you to respond to His Word. We are so blessed to live in a time and place that we can have access to God's Word whenever we want. But in this, it becomes easy to take it for granted, and we lose our awe and response.

Let's challenge each other to seek God's Word and to respond by the power of the Spirit no matter where it may lead us.

No comments:

Post a Comment