Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Quiet Fight Among Women - What I Have Learned Thus Far

I have been working through this course and it is more than I could have asked for. In the past couple of years God has really opened my eyes to my judgmental attitude and how much I compare myself to others, keeping me from doing some of the things He has for me to do. Last week I shared a preview of Unit Two with three of my favorite quotes from those videos. I have battled so much to be who God has created me to be and in turn have struggled to let other women be who God created them to be. In the first video of Unit Three of "The Quiet Fight Among Women", Angie says,

" If we cannot see ourselves the way God sees us, we cannot see our Sisters the way God sees them either." 

This spoke right to my heart. God has given me a lot of grace to be very self aware, but I have struggled to really see myself the way God sees me. Do you struggle with this? It is so easy to compare myself with others and tell myself I'm not as good at doing this or that and therefore I should not do it. I really struggled with this in writing. It took years for me to gain confidence to share my work with others and still struggle with letting people in. This is just one example as there are many in my life, but one of the ones that God has helped me in greatly the last couple of years.

"Comparing causes us to miss the best parts of ourselves and others."

How true this is. When I compare I find myself not wanting to act or judging so much that I feel like I am superior in some way. Both are sin and equally wrong. I want to see the best in my Sisters, not those things that I think are a problem or those things that cause me feel inferior. God has made us differently to work together and this is what we need. This is how we are the Body of Christ; every member functioning in her role.

So how do we do this? How do we stop the comparison trap? How do we see ourselves the way God sees us so that we can be ourselves and let our Sisters be themselves? 

Only by grace! We need Jesus. When we feel tempted to compare we need to pray and then pray some more. Pray that God would open our eyes to how He has made us. Pray that we would not sin by judging, falling into pride, coveting, etc. Pray to see others and ourselves through God's eyes. Pray for contentment. Pray that we would use our gifts and talents for God's Kingdom and glory and for the building up of the church.

How has the comparison trap caught you? How have you seen God work to break the comparison trap in your life?


If you are interested in being a leader, there is now a group leader kit available.

1 comment:

  1. I love "Comparing causes us to miss the best parts of ourselves and others." Truth to be remembered!

    ReplyDelete