Thursday, June 20, 2013

How Bad Can I Be?

"How bad can I be? I'm just doing what comes naturally."

This is the chorus of one of the songs in The Lorax that has given me a great amount of thought. I have walked around singing the catchy tune, as have my kids, and it hit me what we were singing about. It is our fallen human nature. Seriously. Think about it. Is this not what we say when we are trying to justify sin? I know I have. And I have heard it when talking about society in general. If we are just doing what comes naturally how can it be bad?

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death."
Proverbs 14:12 & 16:25

The Bible speaks clearly to this and it is repeated. Any time something is repeated you know it is important. Our sinful nature seems right because it is what the flesh says is right, but our sin leads us to death. Our sin separates us from God. 

"And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you once walked, following the course of this world" Ephesians 2:1-2a

So how bad can it be doing what comes naturally? Deadly!

But thanks be to God that He has provided His Son, Jesus Christ, to take our place if we will respond to His grace and turn from our sin, turn away from what comes naturally to our flesh, and cling to His ways. 

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus, our Lord."
Romans 6:23

So instead of asking "how bad can I be?" lets say, "Lord I am bad but I want to be good. Jesus help me to do what is right, following God's ways."

No comments:

Post a Comment