Monday, June 17, 2013

What's In A Name?

I am a lazy person. I have always struggled with being lazy and doing things half-halfheartedly or not putting forth my best effort. Recently God has really been convicting me about my laziness. Last week he brought to mind my name: Emily Elizabeth. Her reminded me of what my names mean.

Emily- Industrious; To strive, excel or rival
Elizabeth- God is my oath

As I reflect on the meaning of my name I am blown away as God reminds me of who I am in Christ. My sinful nature is lazy, VERY lazy. But God has created me to do His work and excel in what He has called me to do.

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men" Colossians 3:23

I have realized that much of what I do has been for men and it is never enough. Therefore since it is not enough why bother trying or giving my best. As long as it gets done that sufficient right?

God says, No! He wants my best. He demands my best. And in Christ I have the ability and the responsibility to do my best.

This kind of leads me to my middle name (I'm going to pretend it does anyway). This one has been more tricky for me to grab hold of because of different meanings of the oath. The one that comes to my mind first is promise.

God is my Promise

Because God is my Promise I should desire to be industrious. God is industrious and created work for us to do. 

Another aspect of oath is an affirmation. God is my affirmation. In Christ I am affirmed by God as His child. Since my work is affirmed by God in Christ I can do my best work and it is good enough no matter what any person says about my work. 

What a relief!

So instead of being lazy and just not doing anything, I can work for God's glory. I can put my best foot forward. And when I fail to do my best or fall back into the pattern of laziness, I can repent and come back to my Father who leads me into industrious work under His rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment