Saturday, April 25, 2015

Mr. Popper's Penguins

This book is an interesting story about a man obsessed with the poles and penguins. While it is a cute story for kids and my kids really enjoyed it, I personally did not prefer it. The primary reason is because it is so very secular in thought and family dynamic it really irritated me. The father is absent minded and portrayed as quite uninvolved with his family. His reading and penguins come before his family and their well being. Even the end showed a complete disregard for his family and following his own desires over his family.

The one thing that redeemed this slightly for me is the whole family touring together, including the kids taking off from school to go and making their stage show a family event. Aside from this story line wise I did not care for it.

I did enjoy the writing style and the story was well told.

I'm giving it 3 stars because the kids enjoyed it, but for myself I'd say 1 1/2 or 2 because of the story line. My kids give it 5!

This book is part of our Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum

No comments:

Post a Comment