Monday, April 6, 2015

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

I'm not really sure what I was expecting from this book when I chose it, but I know it was not what I read. This was a very interesting story of the Time Traveller going to the year Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One, and the adventure he had there for a week. As someone who wonders what it would be like to time travel and what the future may be like I found it very interesting from a scientific standpoint. The assumptions made in this book are very imaginative and even help in thinking of ways to write fantasy works. As a Christian who does not believe in evolution, I find it challenging and a little sad at the view the Time Traveller has toward some of those he meets in the future.

I enjoyed the story telling aspect of this book as well as the unique writing style. Again it was imaginative, which I appreciate greatly. I usually enjoy books that think outside the box when it comes to new places and people.

I cannot say that I disliked the evolutionary elements, for it being a story the writer will usually write based on their beliefs, but I did struggle with how the Time Traveller viewed some of the people of the future. Though realistic for humanity, it was hard to appreciate, but I do think this is largely part of my personality and others may enjoy it.

I would give this book 3.5 stars, as I was not blown away by it, but I did enjoy it as literature.

This is my third book in the Back to the Classics Challenge 2015! Check out the challenge here.

No comments:

Post a Comment