Thursday, January 23, 2014

Become Your Child's Friend

"There is a FRIEND that sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

This is one that was a bit of a new concept for me as I was raised in the mindset that you are their parent not their friend. I very much appreciated the way Kim explained the concept of becoming their friend. When they are young we are the parent and their authority. We are to teach them friendship in this by directing them to people who have Godly character and making our close friends with those families who are also Godly. We model what it is to be a Godly friend.

As they grow up we become friends with them as they learn to make decisions. As a family we are a team. When conflict arises in between us and our children, we need to recognize that we are not each others enemy. Satan is the enemy and he is working to cause discord between us as his desire is to destroy the family and discredit God's design of family. This is a great point to remember and something I am seeking to get into my heart and mind as I raise my kids. Lord, give me wisdom on teaching and instructing my kids so we can grow in friendship as they get older. Show me how to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment