Sunday, January 26, 2014

Serve as Jesus Served

Last week at Sojourn we studied John 13:1-17 where Jesus washes His disciples feet. It was such an encouragement and great reminder of what Jesus calls us to do as His followers. We are to follow His example and serve as Jesus served. When Jesus washed His disciples feet He took the role of a common servant. This speaks volumes to me as many times I buck at doing normal every day things to serve my family. Jesus, however, took on the dirtiest of tasks, washing feet, to show how we are to serve.

The point that stood out to me the most is that before we can serve for God we must be served by God. Jesus is clear with Simon Peter in verse 8 when He says, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with Me" that He is the one who has to serve us, clean us and make us part of God's family. Unless we know God we cannot serve in His Name.

Lord, help me remember everyday that You have served me, cleansed me, by the blood of Christ. Help me to serve as Jesus did without reservation and without stipulation.

Have you been cleansed by God? Are you willing to serve as Jesus did?

No comments:

Post a Comment