Friday, January 10, 2014

Taking the Mornings Back

Last semester was insane. Between pregnancy, Jim in class every day, me in class 2 days a week, holidays and vacation, I seriously lost self-discipline. This is not something I am great at to begin with, and so it takes very little for me to slip into a very lazy lifestyle with no discipline and little planning. I just do whatever is easiest at the time.

Newsflash: This does NOT work!

This is particularly true when you have kids. Jim and I were very much "fly by the seat of our pants" during our pre-children days, but with each child I am learning more that it is no accident that one of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control (or as I have to tell myself, self-discipline). It is not natural at all to be disciplined so as to do things in an orderly manner that is best for others. It is completely natural to do what you want to do when you want to do it with no regard to anyone else. As Christians we are called to die to ourselves and live for Christ, which takes discipline.

So to start this first full week of the new year Jim and I decided we would get up every morning about 6 Sunday through Friday with our older 2 and do individual Bible reading and journaling for about 30 minutes to start the day. (We're working on getting the kids up to that long, but you get the idea.) We want to take back the chaos that had become mornings and turn it into a time to focus first on the Lord, seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness to start the day. This has been a blessing. Adjusting has been a little difficult, but honestly I am no more tired than when I was able to sleep until 8 or 9 and I have been much more productive in my days. God truly blesses our discipline in seeking Him first.

This does not mean days have gone perfectly. Most mornings I want to turn off the alarm and say forget it. But by God's amazing grace we will grow in this as a family and learn to seek God individually as well as together.

No comments:

Post a Comment